Forums  ›  General  ›  General Discussion

Data Center Migration

We have actively been working on our data center migration. I strongly believe in transparency; especially when it comes to the nature of kinkster – because of this I will commonly communicate what goes on behind the scenes, technical information, and answer all (appropriate) question about what’s going on around here.

Kinkster has never ‘broken even’ in its time and operates as a loss. Because of the overall low overhead making up the difference isn’t an issue. The only issue we encounter is when some large ticket item is needed. Normally something would be budgeted and handed in the way that makes it affordable, but with short notice it puts us in a screws position.

**Original Forum Topic**

What’s Going on?

We were given very little notice the data center where we store our servers are physically moving locations.

Why is this a problem?

The current location of the data center allowed ‘tower’ servers; the new locations does not and requires all client (us) owned equipment to be in a ‘rack’ configuration.

Why do we own our equipment and not just pay a ‘hosting company’?

1. Kinkster requires more resources / processing power than your standard website.
  2. We have more control over your data and we store data encrypted.
  3. We have high storage requirements because the large amount of pictures and videos uploaded to the site.
  4. We can monitor our internet connection and have an enterprise firewall between the internet and the servers. (most websites do not do this)

What is being done to fix this?

• We are planning a 3 to 4-hour outage sometime between July 25th and 29th; this will happen something between 9am-5pm.
  • We will be posting a notice when we know the exact day and time.
  • We will be taking our servers completely offline and going to consolidate them.

How can I help?

We are still needing a few pieces of hardware for our new data center setup; we’re asking our members to give a helping hand in covering the some of the cost.

Amazon Wishlist (hardware)
PayPal
Square (CC)

I will be posting a notice of the planed outage as soon as its known. As with everything; if you have any questions just shoot me a message.

We all really appreciate your efforts.  This man deserves a blow job dammit.

Thank you vixie for the 2 hard drives and the server case from the Amazon Wishlist!

We had everything either donated or ordered for our new server that should be installed next week.

• ASUS KGPE-D16 server motherboard (Dual G34)
  • Dual AMD Opteron 6276 (2.30 GHz - 16cores per cpu - 32 cores total)
  • 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered 1333MHz Server Ram (4GB x 8 quad channel)
  • 4x HP 2TB 7200rpm 6Gb SAS hard drives
  • LSI Megaraid Sas 9261-8I RAID Controller (8 ports - 512mb cache)
  • 1U server case /w 650w power supply

Glad to see the site continuing to function at full capacity. There's still plenty of time to donate people, so if you enjoy the site, show some appreciation! Every bit helps recoup some of the monthly costs the site incurs. Support this awesome site!! 

Way to go Robert!!! Thank you and everyone on the site for keeping kinster going!!!

Thanks Kinkster for all the efforts. It is really appreciated. Hope others will continue to donate too. And thanks for the updates, it's good to know how things are going.