Forums  ›  General  ›  General Discussion

What's cookin?

Food can be fun, it can be intamate and it can bring people together. Thought we would start a fun forum for community members to let others know what they are doing (food wise) in the kitchen. Tell us about your BBQ, Burgers, French techniques, mac and cheese, etc. Looking forward to the submissions.

It's Sunday football day so I am making a gumbo. From the start of making the roux from scratch to simmer the prep was an hour and 45 min. Useful the trinity, kielbasa sausage (I know, I know. But I didn't have any andoulie on hand), chicken, and shrimp. Once all prepped and in the pot it will simmer another 4 hours before making rice to place in bowls and the Gumbo over top. Next week I may do a no can chilli. Dry beans and base from scratch. 

-Mr. SouthRoxkink

Cooking a few meals for the week, on the menu is homemade chicken and dumplings (southern style chewy dumplings is what we like), and some barbacoa simmering in the slow cooker! Not super sexy, but I won't mention where the whipped cream and strawberries for dessert might end up :)

Grilled wild turkey breast wrapped in bacon.

Cut breasts into golf ball sized pieces. Let breasts slowly warm up to room temperature. Rubbing and gently massaging them may help warm things up.  Now massage breasts with olive oil.  Don’t skimp. Leave them dripping and glistening with oil.  Sprinkle with seasoning of your choice (we use Mrs Dash & seasoned salt). Wrap each piece with a half slice of bacon and slide on a stiff skewer.  Grill slowly until almost done, then brown them over high heat.

That’s one way to enjoy a pair of breasts. 

Some thick and juicy T-bone stakes, with sautéed zucchini and squash fresh from the yard. And giant baked potatoes. Really tasty night. We will see what follows for dessert....